1. Back up & sign out of iCloud and Google acoount
You can choose to back up either with iCloud or iTunes. Please refer to Apple Support (https://support.apple.com/en-us/ht203977) for details.
Make sure to sign out of iCloud and the iTunes & App Store
- If you're using iOS 10.3 or later, tap Settings > [your name]. Scroll down and tap Sign Out. Enter your Apple ID password and tap Turn Off.
- If you're using iOS 10.2 or earlier, tap Settings > iCloud > Sign Out. Tap Sign Out again, then tap Delete from My [device] and enter your Apple ID password. Then go to Settings > iTunes & App Store > Apple ID > Sign Out.
Please refer to Apple Support (https://support.apple.com/en-sg/ht208242) for details.
If you're switching to a non-Apple phone, deregister iMessage. Please refer to Apple Support (https://support.apple.com/en-om/HT203042) for details.
Android Phone –
Make sure to sign out from your Google Account.
There are a few methods of backing up your Android phone. Please refer to the official website of the manufacturer of your mobile phone for details. Do take note of the data and settings that are not backed up, you need to use other methods.
- Xiaomi – http://en.miui.com/thread-330659-1-1.html
2. Erase all the data & reset to factory settings
Be warned: this process will erase all the data from your device's internal storage, including personal files like photos. So, be sure to back up all your phone's data beforehand.
iPhone – Go to Settings and tap General > Reset > Erase All Content and Settings. Please refer to Apple Support (https://support.apple.com/en-us/ht201274) for details.
Android Phone – Go to Settings, find Backup & reset, then tap Factory data reset and Reset phone. You'll be prompted to enter your pass code and then to Erase everything. Please refer to the official website of the manufacturer of your mobile phone for details.
- Xiaomi – https://c.mi.com/thread-229258-1-1.html
3. Packing up
The final step to get your phone ready for delivery or dropoff is to pack properly.
- If you do NOT have the original box of the phone, click here to see how to pack without original box.
- If you have the original box with you, follow these steps.
Step 1: Gather the appropriate materials:
- Packing materials, like bubble wrap or newspaper;
- Scotch tape; and
- Similar-sized cardboard box, if available.
Step 2: Put all the available accessories into the phone box.
Step 3: Wrap the phone box with bubble wrap or newspaper, tight. Make it covers all sides of the box and is dense enough to provide adequate buffer.
Step 4: Stick a small note onto the phone box, indicating the last four digits of your mobile phone number. Make sure it won't fall off easily.
If you cannot find a similar-sized cardboard box, you can skip the next 2 steps and the parcel is ready for delivery, so long as you have warpped the phone box with strong buffer.
Step 5: Fill half the cardboard box with bubble wrap or crumpled newspaper, lay the phone box in the center of the cardboard box, and fill the remaining space with bubble wrap or crumpled newspaper.
Step 6: Close the box and gently shake it to test your work. Ideally, the phone box will remain completely immobile. Tape the top of the cardboard box shut.